Lanyards are generally required by OSHA when working 6' or more off the ground.
Shock-absorbing lanyards are a special classification of lanyards that are designed to bring a falling person to a slow, comfortable stop to reduce the chance of injury. They limit the arrest force to less than 900 lbf. and the deceleration distance to 3 ½'.
Current technology requires two pieces of webbing: a strength member (nylon or polyester web) that eventually stops the fall and supports the load, and an energy-absorbing member (POY) that stretches to absorb the energy of the fall. The two webbings must be assembled and sewn into a lanyard, requiring a tedious process.
POY Lanyard Webbing
Tape Craft created a new webbing that dramatically reduces the amount of assembly required by fall protection manufacturers. In fact, all that is required is to sew two metal hooks on the end, and you have a functioning shock absorbing lanyard.
The main point of the invention is that the webbing has both the strength member (nylon or polyester tube) and the energy-absorbing member woven simultaneously as a one-piece webbing. The relative lengths of the two members are designed into the product as it is woven.
This is a patented product.
Specifications for High-Performance TapeCraft® Load Limitor:
• One-piece, shock-absorbing lanyard featuring energy-absorbing member (POY) and strength member (outer tube) woven as one;
• Patent Pending;
• Saves tedious and expensive assembly process;
• Arresting force limited to 700-800 lbf as the webbing expands;
• At full expansion of +/- 40”, strength member is engaged and stops the fall;
• Tensile strength >6,000 lbf
• Passes OSHA standard drop test (fall distance=6’, weight=220 lbs, max arresting force <900 lbf stopping distance <42”);
• “Remove from Service” indicator woven into webbing.
A Complete Line of Webbing for Fall Restraint:
A0025: 6 ft Standard POY Lanyard (Nylon)
A0033: 4 ft Standard POY Lanyard (Nylon)
A0034: 4 ft Standard POY Lanyard (Polyester)
A0035: 6 ft Standard POY Lanyard (Polyester)
A0036: Twin Leg 6 ft POY Lanyard (Polyester)
A0040: 6 ft Universal Lanyard (Polyester)
U0111-1 3/4": Grommet Webbing (Polyester)
U0114-1 3/4": 6,000 lb Harness Webbing (Polyester)
U0115- 1 1/4": 12,000 lb Lanyard (Polyester)
U0117-1": 9,800 lb Lanyard (Polyester)
E700: Elastic Keeper